Wednesday, February 1, 2012

God Was Their Portion...

I can only lead as far as I've been... 


In the book of Joshua I was impressed by how many times it talks about how the Levites were not given land, but GOD HIMSELF as their portion. All the other tribes were allotted large amounts of land after they entered the "promised land" and took over Jericho by Joshua's lead after Moses died.

I'd like to learn more about the Levites- from what I know they were set aside to be priest to God- they were the ones who performed the ceremonial sacrifices and offerings. Someone also brought up a great point to me: they didn't have land and so they didn't have to spend time working the land. They lived off of the offering of the people and spent their time serving God.

This reminded me about what Paul said about staying single if we could. Marriage is a beautiful thing- but Paul just recommended that if we could it would be a good thing to use all the time we have without the concerns of serving our husband/wife and kids on serving God and His people. I'm not saying if we are married we won't serve God, but maybe this is an encouragement if you do find yourself single to look at this time as a blessing. You may see others having houses, businesses, children, "careers"... but when you have no "earthly" wealth, God will be your portion. And He is enough. Read Joshua and see what I mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment