Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tour Journal - Traveling Troubadours Tour May 2012



MAY 12
On Friday I woke up to hear Faith giggling to herself, I walked in her room and and she was bundled from head to toe reading something. I asked her what and she said it was Jeremiah, she was laughing because she was freezing all night. Her and I got ready and headed to Sacred Heart to practice and learn more of each other's songs. I felt overwhelmingly tired the whole day. We packed up and headed toward Asheville NC. Creatures Cafe right in downtown Asheville was the venue- it's a non-profit Christian Coffee house that stays open later than all the bars so that all the drunk people come in for food after everything else closes and get to know the Christians that work there. The show felt really good, the place was full and they asked us to stay and play another set. Between sets Faith and I went out on the street and started singing to attract passerbyers to come in a see us. We sang up-beat versions of Amazing Grace and I Surrender All plus our songs. A drunk man on the street starting talking to Faith and I saw him spit something at her, she didn't seemed phased but I got worried and tried to intervene. After we played a man from Nigeria played a few songs for us, he sounded so beautiful. I'm always amazed by these unknown people that we meet along the way that have the talent to be world famous but are playing at cafe's to 3 people at 1am. By the time we packed up and got to the house we were staying at it was 2am. 



MAY 13
In the morning, Jodi made us a gourmet breakfast and we got to talk to her a bit- she and her husband Lucas were from Nashville and we have mutual friends. We went over to The Feed and Seed for their worship service. The Feed and Seed is a really cool venue where a lot of bluegrass bands play. It's an old store from the early 1900's that sold anything and everything. Now it has pews and movie theater seats and hosts church and concerts. The people there were extremely friendly, mostly elderly. They had great coffee and bags and bags of donated bread that people could take home. They requested that we start by playing "I Saw the Light" by Hank Williams as our worship song and then we did a few of our own. It was mother's day so that fact and the spirit there was really nice. After, we went to a restaurant we spotted the night before in downtown Asheville called Jerusalem Cafe. By the time we were done there and checked into our hotel it was time to drop in at The Choice 95.7, a radio station that our friend Pete just started. He plays any and all music he likes, he says "It's not a Christian radio station, but it is a station run by Christians". He interviewed us and played our music then we went back over to Feed and Seed. The show went well even though for the first song my keyboard wouldn't work and we were scrambling to fix it. We also couldn't really hear ourselves, but the audience really dug it and clapped for an encore. At that point we were really tired after doing two shows in one day, tired to a point where we just got really silly so we had a dance party in the bus and went to Taco Bell.

MAY 14
On Monday morning we got to sleep in then went to Home Depot so Sean could buy hardware to make a kick drum from an old suitcase. We all tried warming up our voices to Seans vocal CD and people stared at us. Then we went back to downtown Asheville and found an extremely good mexican food place called Salsa. The weather was unbelievably perfect, sunny, warm with a slight breeze. Faith and I broke away from the boys and looked at some vintage clothing stores and took pictures along the way. I got Sean a black leather bracelet I saw at one store because he liked the one I wear that looks exactly the same. We both ended up getting dresses and then running back to the bus just in time to leave for Hope House as it started pouring rain. Hope House is a place where girls who have been sex trafficked can recover, get counseling and have a safe place to live. I'd been there before two years ago on another Troubadour Tour I'd been on but at that time no girls were there. This time 4 girls plus the staff where there- it's a very peaceful place on beautifully manicured grounds. The girls all seemed extremely innocent, giggly and friendly. They sat on couches and we each played a few songs in a real casual intimate way. I played "Beloved" because I really wanted them to get that message- that nothing can separate them from the love of their heavenly Father. We ended with them singing to "How He Loves". Then we all took pictures, gave them cd's and ate spaghetti with them that they made.

Later at the hotel we had a Bible study starting the book of Phillipians. It seems funny to me, from the looks of Sean and Jay and how they act so casual and "non-religious", that they are both licensed pastors. I'm laughing out loud as I write this and Jay's asking me why I'm laughing that he's a pastor. Anyway, we had a good BIble study- I learned that a good way to study is to observe the verses your reading, then apply them to the people in the time it was written and then apply it to us today. We talked about how Paul had a real sincere affection for the Church, that they would have love in knowledge. Then we all watched Zoolander. 


MAY 15
Today I woke up on the floor, I had decided to sleep on the floor of the hotel room so I wouldn't disturb Faith with all my tossing and turning. We headed to Charlotte NC to Northside Baptist Church for a benefit for The Morning Center. The Morning Center is a clinic that is about to open in Charlotte, Memphis TN and Indianapolis- the clinic provides free prenatal care and gives women the support and help they need to keep from having abortions. I really believe in that so I'm glad we got to be a part of the first benefit. Our friends from the area came out to support us and the show felt really good. We got to talk to the comedian for the night, Brad Stine. He was a really cool guy and had a lot of practical wisdom about politics and performance. 

I ended up sleeping under the merch tables in the back for a while, talking to some people and the founder gave Faith and I really cool necklaces. We stopped at a cheap burger place and ate on the ground outside and now I'm sitting on the bus typing as we drive on to Atlanta.

We plan on getting there around 3am and sleeping in a church sanctuary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment