Thursday, January 26, 2012

Just Imagine...

Imagine The Consequence:
I heard this great concept while listening to BOT radio in my car. A pastor was saying the way he's stayed on the straight and narrow and hasn't "fallen" like so many others is he imagines how that would feel. For example he literally goes through the whole scenario of how it would feel to cheat on his wife, have everyone find out, lose his credibility, lose everything he's worked so hard for, hurt all the people he is pastoring, and worst of all face his kids- telling them how he made a mistake and how he wishes he could take it back. 

It might sound like negative thinking, but I think this is a great way to avoid falling into something we know is wrong. If we have already explored and felt the consequences in our minds, when the temptation comes we will be able to resist it. Sometimes imagining something negative can be a great help.

We can also imagine our last moments of life and dying. That sounds ridiculously morbid but it actually emboldens me to live and do whatever it is that I believe I should. You and I will die. I never think about it because it's hard to even wrap my mind around it, but it will happen. I'm only a link in a long chain. Am I going to be a strong link or a weak link? ("you are the weakest link!" sorry I had too!) Am I going to pave the way with my dead body or be in the way with the legacy I leave behind? Write your epitaph now. It's called "the perspective principle"- keeps everything you do and everything you are in perspective.

If you are struggling with a temptation take time to really go through the consequence and hopefully instead you will ask The Helper, God's spirit to help you resist it. God never tests us beyond what we can bear- problem is sometimes we don't want to get out of a sticky situation- we are enjoying it too much- but be assured my friend you'll regret it later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment