Thursday, January 26, 2012

Love Equation

Love Equation:
You love me, I love you- where's the proof? That's what I've been thinking about tonight and today. I stayed in on this Friday night to read, write and just relax... this is something that popped into my head as I was journaling:

My equation for love. 
Love isn't a warm feeling, it's not a positive energy or a good thought- those are just symptoms of true love. Love is proof that one is valuable. I used "money" in this equation only because of what it represents- work, sacrifice, trust in the person it's being given to or used on. 

Yeshua showed sacrifice and trust when He died to be able to bring us to Himself. Imagine the faith He had in us that His death wouldn't be in vain- that we would respond to His sacrifice with our own. Can you believe He trusted that we would love Him back? Amazing. 

The other evidence is Time. If you say you love the people in your small group or your family but you don't want to be with them (or communicate with them if you can't be with them), maybe you don't really love them. I'm saying this to myself.

Romans 12:9 was highlighted to me last night "Don't just pretend to love each other, really love them..."

wow that's really calling us out. All our sweet language, all are positive vibrations, the phrase "love ya!" doesn't really mean we love people at all. Sacrificing for someone and spending time with them is the evidence of love. 

post date rethink: Thanks to all the insightful feedback I've gotten on this equation I need to revise it. The point was made that a man's heart is deceitful and we can't even really tell if we love someone truly even if "evidence" is there. We can only be completely submissive and present ourselves as empty vessels for God's love to flow through. That is the only true love. It's mystical and may or may not provide "evidence" of love that we are looking for. The point was made that God so loved us that He sent His only son to DIE. ok, wait- where's the evidence of love for His son there? Yet we know God is love and does indeed love His son. So the revised equation is rather more vague than I first thought
Love= Complete broken submission to whatever God directs (even if it looks opposite of love) 
Darn it! Before it was a lot more clear cut- but God is not clear cut and easily defined! He is love and His ways are not ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment